KEENE, N.H. - The Keene State College women's lacrosse team dropped their final non-conference game to Westfield State 15-8 on Wednesday evening at the Owl Athletic Complex.
- Keene State: 4-5
- Westfield State 4-7
How It Happened
It was a back and forth scoreless first seven minutes, as both teams looked to establish a rhythm before senior Chelsea Lewis got the scoring started. Lewis took a pass from Ali Daisy and fired in the first goal of the game. The senior then added her second off a Brigid Casey feed to give KSC an early 2-0 edge. Westfield State came firing back with five straight goals, as Kelly Gearin grabbed the first score. At the 14:17 mark, Alexa Tonelli tied things up off a Hayley Rodriguez assist, before the visitors scored two straight man-down goals from Elizabeth Navoni and Rodriguez. Westfield got their fifth, as Maddie Bartkus took a Rodriguez feed and fired it home. KSC fought back with three straight of their own, when Erica Chareth took a Casey pass and beat the goalkeeper. Emily Parker then grabbed her first goal of the game off another Casey assist, before Casey tied it up at five a piece with an unassisted goal. Gearin then scored her second of the game to give the visitors a 6-5 advantage, before Brigid Casey scored off a free position shot with just second remaining in the half, to knot things at six all.
The second half was completely controlled by Westfield, as Elizabeth Navoni scored the first goal of the half. Casey responded for the hosts with her third of the game, but the visitors answered right back as Navoni scored three straight goals, in a three minute span, with all three assists coming from Alexa Tonelli. Sydney Lambert then poured in two straight free-position goals to push the score to 12-7. Megan Gorham grabbed one back for Keene State off an Emily Parker feed, but that was all KSC could muster offensively. Westfield scored three more goals as Marissa Nimeskern, Navoni and Bartkus tallied to give the visitors a 15-8 victory.
Inside the Crease
- Navoni led all scorers with six goals, while Sydney Lambert had two goals and two assists. Alexa Tonelli finished with one goal and five helpers.
- Brigid Casey led KSC with three goals and three assists. Chelsea Lewis had two goals and Emily Parker had one goal and one assist.
- Maria Woodall picked up the win in net with nine saves. Joanna Steinhauer had eight saves in the loss.
- Westfield State outshot KSC 30-22. Keene State held the edge in draw controls 13-12.
- Keene State travels to Southern Maine for an LEC contest on Saturday, April 13 at 12:00 p.m.
- Westfield State travels to MIT on Friday, April 12 for a 6:00 p.m. start.