Western Connecticut Overtakes KSC in Final Seconds, 74-71

Western Connecticut Overtakes KSC in Final Seconds, 74-71

DANBURY, Conn. - Western Connecticut State University took the lead on a three-pointer with seven seconds left and went on to deal the Keene State College women's basketball team a 74-71 loss in Little East action Wednesday night at Feldman Arena.


  • Keene State:  2-14, 0-8 LEC
  • Western Connecticut:  7-8, 2-5 LEC

How It Happened

Lilly Shlimon matched a season-high with 18 points for the Owls, while adding three assists, two rebounds and a block.  Jordyn Burke added a double-double with a career-high 16 points and 12 rebounds, while Tamra Gonyea had 15 points, four rebounds and two steals.  Asiah Knight and Genesis Torres each had 13 points to pace WestConn.

It was a close game throughout, as neither team ever led by more than eight points.  The teams split the first 10 points, as a three from Gonyea made it 5-5 in the early going.  The Colonials tallied the next five, but KSC then hit back with a 9-2 burst finished with Abby Thut and Shlimon layups for their first lead of the contest (14-12) with 40 seconds left in the first.  It was tied 14-14 after one, but the Owls got a three from Emily McPadden and a jumper from Shlimon for a 19-14 lead just over a minute into the second.  It continued to be back and forth, as two Burke free throws made it 21-17 KSC before WestConn scored five straight.  A McPadden three put KSC back in front, and the visitors stretched the lead to 31-25 at the 3:40 mark after Gonyea and Burke converted inside.  The Colonials rallied, going on an 11-3 run to lead 36-33 at the break.

Keene State allowed a triple to open the second half and still found themselves down 46-40 with 6:22 left in the third, but hung around, as a Shlimon three-point play and Thut layup made it a one-point game (46-45) less than two minutes later.  The Colonials restored a 51-45 lead at the 3:56 mark and still led by six in the final two minutes of the quarter, but Shlimon and Burke each scored as the clock wound down to make it a 60-56 game after three.  WestConn scored twice quickly to open the final quarter as they took a game-high eight point lead, but Gonyea drained a three on the next possession and, later, Shlimon's three-point play had KSC back within 66-62 with 7:48 to go.  Trailing 69-62 a little over a minute later, the Owls then embarked on a 9-0 run - the final seven points scored by Burke - over the next 3:25 to take their first lead of the second half.  Her three-point play chipped the deficit to two, and later, consecutive layups put KSC in front 71-69 with 3:14 left.  The Owls had chances down the stretch, including two possessions in the final minute, but could not convert and WCSU's Jancy Sherwood canned a three with seven seconds left to put the home team ahead 72-71.  The Owls turned the ball over and two Colonial free throws set the final margin.

Inside the Paint

  • KSC shot a season-high 47% from the field (28-of-60) in the contest and made 7-of-24 from three (29%).  WCSU shot 40% (25-of-62) overall and made 9-of-30 (30%) from long range.
  • The Colonials outrebounded the Owls 40-33, including 17-11 on the offensive end which led to a 22-8 edge in second chance points.
  • Shlimon has scored in double-figures in four of the last five games.

Up Next

  • Keene State hosts the University of Southern Maine for a Little East matchup Saturday, January 19 at 1:00 pm.  The Huskies took the first matchup 48-40 in Gorham on January 5.
  • Western Connecticut travels to UMass Boston on the same day and time.