KEENE, N.H.- The Keene State Owls men's soccer team picked up two goals from their forward Connor Downey, and a goaltending tandem lifted the Owls to 2-0 victory over MCLA from a frigid Dr. Ron Butcher Field on Wednesday night.
- Keene State: 11-5-0
- MCLA: 3-11-0
How it Happened:
The Owls dominated the attack for much of the second half, finding plenty of chances towards goal. KSC was awarded with four corner kicks in the first 14 minutes of the contest but the Owls were unable to come away with a goal off of any of their corner kicks. Keene State would take four shots in the early goings of the contest, but GK Sean Bradshaw would be able to settle the Owls attack.
Keene State would pick up their first goal of the contest in the 22nd minute of the opening frame when Connor Downey was able to force a turnover back the back line of defense of MCLA and work his way through two defenders before taking a shot that went into the bottom right corner of the net, giving the Owls the 1-0 lead. For Downey, he picks up his fourth tally of the season.
MCLA would come up with just two shots in the first half, putting up their only shot on goal in the first half in the opening moments. The shot was saved by starting goalkeeper for KSC Gavin Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick would see the first 45 minutes of action, followed by GK Nate Howard who would see the final 45 minutes between the pipes.
The Owls continued to dominate the offensive attack in the second half but up multiple shots towards MCLA's GK Sean Bradshaw. Keene State would pick up their second goal of the game by Connor Downey who picks up his first multiple goal game since September 29, 2018. Downey played a perfect cross taken by Henry Cummings, and saw the ball bounce off his shoulder and took a shot that landed into the left side of the net, giving the Owls the 2-0 lead.
MCLA would be staggered for offense in the final 45 minutes of the game only coming away with one shot on goal by Garrett Derosia but Nate Howard came off his line to make the save. GK Sean Bradshaw came away with three saves in the second half, totaling four in the contest. KSC's offensive dominance and strong backline of defense led them to a 2-0 victory.
Inside the Box:
- Connor Downey netted two goals, the only two of the contest in the win for the Owls. Downey missed the previous four games due to injury. He picks up goals four and five on the season.
- Keene's Henry Cummings picks up his first assist of the season on Connor Downey's second goal of the game. Cummings picks up just his second career assist, with the other coming in a 4-1 win on October 3, 2018 against Worcester State.
- MCLA saw Sean Bradshaw play in his first game of the season, making four saves while surrendering two goals in the 2-0 loss. Bradshaw drops to 0-1 on the season.
- KSC registered 12 corner kicks in the contest, while MCLA failed to get any in the 90 minutes of play.
- Keene State will host LEC leader UMass-Boston on Saturday, October 26 at 1:00 pm from Dr. Ron Butcher Field.
- MCLA heads home to take on Mass. Maritime on Friday, October 25 at 6:00 pm, resuming their MASCAC play.