KEENE, N.H. - The Keene State men's lacrosse team posted a perfect 7-0 record for the sixth straight season, as the Owls downed Southern Maine, 25-11, under the lights on Senior Day on Friday evening at the Owl Athletic Complex.
- Keene State: 10-4, 7-0 LEC
- Southern Maine: 7-8, 4-3 LEC
How It Happened
Keene State raced out to a six goal lead, before pushing their advantage to 12-0 at the 9:09 mark with a strike from senior Hunter Arnold, off a feed from sophomore Dave Wiedenfeld. Southern Maine got on the board with 8:03 remaining, as Nate DelGuidice connected with Paul Leonardo, before the Owls built a 15-2 at half.
The Huskies opened up the scoring in the third stanza, as Zach Bessette sent a long pass to Tristan Dundas to net their third goal of the game, before freshman Jordan Caito knocked down two goals off of passes from freshman Matthew Lemke and senior Jon Nassif to push the score to 17-3, Keene State. The two teams traded goals until Leonardo scored a down goal at the 3:40 mark, followed by an up goal from freshman Michael Schenk off the face-off. Freshman Paxton Blanchard followed by finding the back of the net at the 2:51 mark to make it 22-3 in favor of the Owls. Each team scored once more, as time expired with a score of 23-4 going into the fourth quarter.
Keene State opened the final stanza with back-to-back strikes, before Southern Maine closed out the period with three consecutive goals.
Inside the Crease
- Before today's game, seniors Arnold, Nassif, Paul Beling, Jake Genest, Mitch Hale, Mathew Howe, and Greg Shawinsky were honored as the Keene State men's lacrosse class of 2018. The combined record for the class is 49-17 and a perfect 27-0 in LEC play. The Owls have earned LEC tournament titles each year, have extended KSC's regular season league game win streak to 47 and have reached the NCAA tournament three times.
- Arnold registered five goals, while Caito scored a career-high five goals for the Owls. Lemke won 15-for-21 from the face-off "x" and earned a game-high 12 ground balls, while junior Charles Molloy IV added one goal, five ground balls and three caused turnovers.
- For the Huskies, DelGiudice became the all-time scoring leader with his goal at 7:18 of the 4th quarter, passing Mark White (2010-13, 147 pts, 87g, 60a). With today's four points off of two goals and two assists, DelGiudice now has 149 points (95g, 54a). Leonardo recorded three goals, while Dundas chipped in two goals and Robby Pini added one assist, six ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- In net, senior Howe earned the win with seven saves in 27:41 minutes of play, while Bessette recorded 15 stops in the loss.
- The Owls held a 58-30 shot advantage and grabbed 47 ground balls to the Huskies' 34.
- Keene State has now won seven consecutive contests and extended its LEC regular season conference win-streak to 47 games, with their last conference loss occurring in 2012.
- The Owls earned the No. 1 seed in the upcoming LEC tournament and have a first round bye, as Keene State will host the winner of the No. 4 Plymouth State and No. 5 UMass Boston on Thursday, May 3rd at the Owl Athletic Compex.