N. DARTMOUTH, Mass.--UMass Dartmouth scored twice in the first half to hand visiting Keene State College a 2-0 defeat in Little East Conference action at Cressy Field on Saturday in the LEC regular season finale for both teams.
- Keene State: 10-8, 8-3 LEC
- UMass Dartmouth: 9-7, 6-5 LEC
How it Happened
The Corsairs got an early spark from senior Haley Donahay following the second corner of the game. After a scrum in front of the net, Donahay snuck the ball away from the opposition, squeezing the ball into the vacated side of the net for her fourth goal of the season.
Later in the first half, the Corsairs doubled the margin when junior Mary Brown weaved through traffic while moving the ball the length of the attacking zone, launching a shot through the legs of the Owls keeper for the unassisted marker.
Keene State had an opportunity to lessen the deficit with five minutes to go until intermission, but Burke was locked in, sprawling across the crease of the net to turn away the chance and keep the 2-0 lead in order.
In the second half, Keene State upped its shot total to 13, but Burke continued to stifle the Owls, making her share of difficult stops in the final 35 minutes of action to pick up her fifth shutout of the season. Rachel Loseby made four saves in the Owls' cage.
- Despite the loss, the Owls will still be the No. 2 seed in the LEC tournament. Westfield State defeated Plymouth State 1-0 and the Owls hold the tiebreaker thanks to their 2-1 overtime in on September 19. The Owls will host No. 7 seeded Bridgewater State on Saturday, October 28. A time has not been determined yet.
- Other LEC quarterfinal matchups include top seeded Worcester State hosting No. 8 seed Western Connecticut State, No. 3 seed Plymouth State hosting No. 6 seed UMass Dartmouth, and No. 4 seed Westfield State hosting No. 5 seeded Eastern Connecticut State. The top two remaining seeds will host semifinals on Wednesday, November 1.
- This was just the second loss to UMass Dartmouth since 2012.
- Keene State ends the season by welcoming Smith College to Owl Athletic Complex on October 25 at 6:30 p.m.
- The Corsairs host Simmons College on October 24 at 7 p.m.
(Parts of this release courtesy UMass Dartmouth)